The Student Affairs Council (SAC) is the primary contact point between the Institute administration and the student body. They conduct elections for various posts, facilitate smooth club selections, conduct club reviews, organize the orientation for the first years and run the mentorship program among their other activities.
The Academic Council is an elected body that facilitates the management of the academic system at IIMB. The Council acts as the interface between students and faculty, to promote seamless interaction and to ensure an atmosphere conducive to learning. The Academic Council is responsible for providing information about courses and rules, organizing tutorials and mentorship programs for PGP 1 students, and conducting bidding for allocation of electives. To facilitate learning beyond the classroom interactions, the Academic Council pro-actively organizes initiatives such as case-building and alternative career lecture series.
Student Alumni Committee
The student Alumni committee strengthens the interactions between Student-alumni, Alumni-alumni and alumni-institute. They organize reunions, panel discussions and mentorship programs along with their flagship event, Anusmaran.
Bookrack is the student library devoted to fiction. As a club, Bookrack believes that everyone at IIMB deserves to kick back and enjoy a good book any time he or she pleases, and that is the very reason for their existence.
The cultural committee of IIMB campus plays an active role in enhancing the social and cultural life of the students on campus. They organize the celebrations of festivals on campus, student birthday parties, famed L^2 parties and also conduct workshops and intersectional cultural competitions. Their flagship event is Unmaad, the biggest college festival in South India.
The debating society of IIM Bangalore aims to facilitate a vibrant culture of debating both amongst the current students and the recent alumni of IIM Bangalore. DebSoc conducts mock debates and adjudication workshops throughout the year. It also organizes its own flagship event called Cicero in September.
Dress circle is the art club of IIMB. They indulge in visual forms of art such as photography, videography, pencil sketching, films etc. They not only ensure that every event on campus is immortalized by their skill, but organize workshops and film screenings as well.
EnI - Entrepreneurship and Innovation Cell
The EnI is a student run initiative that is aimed at nurturing the entrepreneurial talent of the students and by providing opportunities to develop on the same. The conduct Eximus, an entrepreneurship festival to provide a platform for students to present their ideas. They also undertake entrepreneurial consulting, dialogue series, networking with other clubs etc.
The exchange committee is entrusted with handling the largest exchange program in the country. They serve as one of the primary sources of multi-cultural fun and ensure that the exchange students blend in well with life on campus, academically and otherwise.
FII - Forum for Industrial Interaction
FII is committed to promoting interaction between the academia, industry and the government to complement and enhance learning at IIMB. FII organizes and conducts major events in campus throughout the year. The flagship event is Vista, a business festival that enjoys huge participation from the student and the corporate communities.
Gurukul is a society that facilitates exchange of knowledge, opinions and perspectives between the members of the IIMB community - primarily students and faculty - through discussions held on a range of topics of interest to the participants. The society undertakes two main objectives - the Interest Group Discussions and the Open House Discussions.
ICON is the consulting club of IIMB. ICON acts as a facilitator for live industry projects which provide students the opportunity of gaining firsthand experience while enabling industry to benefit from the cutting edge pedagogy of IIMB. ICON also helps consulting companies enhance their visibility on campus through a host of initiatives such as Newletters, Talks, Case study workshops etc.
Merchandising and Retailing Society is an entirely student run club which operates a not for profit retail store in the campus. They provide essentials like stationery, medicines, consumer products and even festival related items, and sell IIMB merchandise like T-shirts.
MaSh - The Marketing Shrine
MaSh is amongst the best marketing clubs of the country. The club contributes to the development and further sharpening of the marketing acumen of the students. The events they organize include corporate strategy games, Ad and Brand workshops, quiz competitions, and interactions with the Who's who of the industry.
MITR is a student volunteer group who work along with "Vishwas", our parent counseling organization to provide counseling to students in need. The goal is to help out fellow students in dealing with all kinds of stress.
The finance club of IIMB focuses on disseminating knowledge about finance sector as a whole. They organize talks and workshops by industry experts, conduct pre placement interviews and knowledge sessions, and also publish a weekly digest on the happenings in the finance world. They also publish a pan-IIM finance magazine - the money manager.
Placement committee is a 10 member elected student body that is entrusted with the summer, final and lateral recruitment process. The committee acts as an interface between recruiters and the student body, facilitating the best fit possible. They are also responsible for framing the recruitment guidelines.
Sigma - The Systems Club
Sigma is a club of technology enthusiasts who interface with the administration to coordinate all infrastructure and service quality maintenance and improvement. Among the major initiatives taken by Sigma are the pan-IIM laptop deal, the student intranet resource portal, academic bidding and also the intersection website competition and LAN gaming competitions.
The Sports Council organizes all the sports events on campus. Right from intersectional to interyear and inter-block competitions, there's always a game to play. The Sports Council undertakes the selection of the teams, organization of inter IIM sports meets and provides space for everyone to play their favorite sport on campus.
Student Media Cell
SMC serves as a liaison between the students and the media. The media cell works towards building working relationships with media houses and publicizing the various student initiatives on campus. It also publishes "oops!" the campus rag which provides a report on the various campus happenings. They also organize Media Conclave - a panel discussion with some of the best known names from the industry.
The mission of Toastmasters@IIMB is to provide a mutually supportive and positive learning environment in which every member has the opportunity to develop communication and leadership skills, which in turn foster self-confidence and personal growth.
Vikasana is a platform for the social service initiatives undertaken by the students. As part of its major activities, Vikasana works with the Bilekahalli and Divya jyothi Government Schools for engaging students and betterment of facilities. They also conduct blood donation camps, events for spastic children, sponsor education of the underprivileged etc.
Other student societies/ chapters / clubs include:
- SpicMacay: For the Promotion of Indian Classical Music and Culture Among Youth
- MessCom: Mess Committee for the student hostel
- Op Soc: Operations Society
- EnS: Environment and Sustainability society
- Bharath: Public Policy society
- Anveshan: Adventure and mountaineering club
- Dramatics club at IIMB
- iQ: Quizzing and Literature club
- Xpressions - Literary club and magazine
Events and Festivals
1. Unmaad: Unmaad is the annual cultural extravaganza of IIMB, a three day festival that is conducted in October. Unmaad, in the past, has always been a must-attend cultural festival, with plenty of competitions to whet every palate. Participants from every metro in the country will be among the 20,000 who attend the three-day festival, to participate in music, dramatics, dance, fine arts and literary events. The large number of events open to corporate participants has also ensured that Bangalore's IT population throngs the IIMB campus on the Unmaad week-end.
2. Foundation Day Cup: The sports council organizes various matches for students, faculty, officers, staff and their children in various sports.
3. Exchange Aarambh: A cultural program organized by the incoming exchange students on campus. This will give them the opportunity to show case their talents and put on a show of multi cultural diversity.
4. Festivals: Indian festivals will be celebrated on campus by the students of IIMB. This will give you the chance to get a view of Indian life in all its glory.
a. Diwali, the festival of lights and sound, is one of the most widely celebrated of Indian festivals. Students celebrate Diwali by lighting lamps and bursting crackers.
b. Dandiya Raas is a traditional folk dance form of Vrindavan. It is performed during the festival of Navratri, during which the 9 forms of the female goddess Durga are worshipped over 9 nights.
5. Workshops: A variety of talks, seminars and workshops will be conducted by different clubs including FII, EnI etc. For example, in EnI Start Up Saturdays, Startup Saturday provides a forum for entrepreneurs to discuss, present, network and learn from peers, prospective customers, adopters, partners and investors.
6. Other events: Birthdays are celebrated in a way that in unique to IIMB. No student on campus goes without a cheery celebration involving all his friends. Also, the famed L Square parties will be conducted on a regular basis.