Chairperson, Executive Post Graduate Programme (EPGP)
FPM (Fellow Program in Management), IIM Bangalore, India, 1996
B. Tech, Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad, India, 1989
- Customer Relationship Marketing; Service Innovations; Services Marketing; Brand Management
- Corporate - ABB, Aventis, B2K Corporation, Caterpillar India, Cognizant Technology Services, Hughes Escorts Communications Ltd., Macmillan India, Bosch, Otto Bilz India, Philips India, Ericsson, SKF, TMTC, TCS
- NGOs - PRADAN & Sanskriti
- Government - Department of Pharmaceuticals (Ministry of Chemicals), Indian Railways, National Council for Hotel Management, National Council of Science Museums, Power Ministry, TRIFED, IFFCO, Ministry of Tourism
- IIM Bangalore : December 2001- present
- Management Development Institute Gurgaon : September 1997- December 2001
- Visiting Faculty : Audencia Nantes School of Management & IESEG School of Management (France), Bocconi University (Milan), Curtin University of Technology (Perth), Goteborg University (Sweden), St. Gallen University (Switzerland), Vienna University & MCI Innsbruck (Austria), and the American University of Armenia (Yerevan).
- Sterling Holiday Resorts International Ltd. : Manager - Marketing, May 1996- August 1997
- Coal India Ltd. (WCL, Nagpur) : Junior Mining Engineer, September 1989- June 1992
Academic/ Corporate / Public Leadership
- Editor-in-Chief: Journal of Indian Business Research, Emerald Publishing (UK)
- Best Professor in Marketing' (2011) Award by CMO Asia Council ‘Best B-Schools in Asia Awards', Singapore
- P D Agarwal TCI Award for Doctoral Research in Management (1995)
- CITIBANK Special Research Award (1994)
- G. Shainesh and Jagdish N Sheth (2006), Customer Relationship Management - A Strategic Perspective, Macmillan India: New Delhi
- Jagdish N. Sheth, Atul Parvatiyar and G. Shainesh (Eds.), Customer Relationship Management - Emerging Concepts, Tools and Applications,( 13th Reprint 2010), Tata McGraw Hill: New Delhi
- Shainesh, G. (2012), ‘Effects of Trustworthiness and Trust on Loyalty Intentions: Validating a Parsimonious Model in Banking', International Journal of Bank Marketing, Vol. 30, Iss: 4 267 - 279.
- Gehrt, K., Rajan, M. N., Shainesh, G., Czerwinski and O'Brien, M. (2012), ‘The Emergence of Internet Shopping in India: Identification of Shopping Orientation-Defined Segments' International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management (Accepted for publication)
- Jan H. Schumann, Florian v. Wangenheim, Anne Stringfellow, Zhilin Yang, Vera Blazevic, Sandra Praxmarer, G. Shainesh, Marcin Komor, Randall M. Shannon, and Fernando R. Jiménez (2010) "Cross-Cultural Differences in the Effect of Received Word of Mouth Referral in Relational Service Exchange", Journal of International Marketing, September Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 62-80
- Jan H. Schumann, Florian v.Wangenhei, Anne Stringfellow, Zhi Lin Yang, Sandra Praxmarer, Fernando R. Jime´nez, Vera Blazevic, Randall M. Shannon, Shainesh G, and Marcin Komor, (2010) ‘Drivers of Trust in Relational Service Exchange: Understanding the Importance of Cross-Cultural Differences' Journal of Service Research, November, Vol. 13, 4: pp. 453-468.
- Sheth, J.N., Sisodia, R. and Shainesh, G. (2005), ‘How Competition will Shape Indian Markets', Journal of Marketing & Communication, Vol. 1, No.1, May, pp. 1-17
- Sheth, J.N. and Shainesh, G. (2005), ‘Customer Relationship Management - The Strategic Imperatives', Revue Francais du Marketing, May, pp. 85-98
- Malhotra,N.K. Ulgado, F.M, Agarwal, J., Shainesh, G. and Wu, L. (2005), ‘Dimensions of Service Quality in Developed and Developing Economies: Multi-Country Cross-Cultural Comparisons', International Marketing Review, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 256-278
- Shainesh, G. (2004), ‘Understanding Buyer Behavior in Software Services - Strategies for Indian Firms', International Journal of Technology Management, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 118-127.
- Pisharodi, R. M., Angur, M., Shainesh, G. (2003), ‘Relationship Strategy, Effectiveness, and Responsiveness in Services Marketing' Journal of Relationship Marketing Volume 2, No. 1/2, pp. 3-22
- Shainesh, G. and Sharma, T. (2003), ‘Linkages Between Service Climate and Service Quality - A Study of Banks in India', IIMB Management Review, September, pp. 74-81
- Shainesh, G., and Mathur, M. (2000), ‘Service Quality Measurement: The Case of Railway Freight Services', Vikalpa, July - September, pp. 15-22.
International Conference Proceedings
- G. Shainesh, Alka Citrin and Naresh Malhotra (Eds.) (2002), Proceedings of the international conference ‘Marketing of Technology Oriented Products and Services in the Global Environment' at the IIM Bangalore, December 27-28, 2002, ISBN 81-901475-0-2
Chapters in Books / Papers in Conference Proceedings / Roundtable
- Shainesh, G. Zeeshan Sultan, and Jurgen Weigand (2012) ‘Market Entry and Expansion Strategies of Indian IT Firms into the European IT Outsourcing Industry , in Ulrich Bäumer, Peter Kreutter and Wolfgang Messner (Eds.) (2012), ‘Globalization of Professional Services: Innovative Strategies, Successful Processes, Inspired Talent Management, and First-Hand Experiences, Springer: London, pp. 23-32. http://www.amazon.com/dp/3642291805/ref=rdr_ext_tmb
- Gehrt, K., Rajan, M. N., Shainesh, G., Czerwinski and O'Brien, M. ‘Emergence of Online Shopping in India: Shopping Orientation Segments. AMA Summer Marketing Educators Conference 2012 "Marketing in the Socially-Networked World: Challenges of Emerging, Stagnant & Resurgent Markets", August 17-19, 2012, Chicago http://www.marketingpower.com/Calendar/Documents/2011/SMEC%202012%20Draft%20Program.pdf
- Malhotra, Naresh K., James Agarwal and G. Shainesh (2012) ‘A Cross-National and Cross-Cultural Comparison of Consumers' Service Quality Perception and Satisfaction: Exploring the Moderating Role of Uncertainty Avoidance', International Conference in Marketing, January 2012. Indian Institute of Management Lucknow, India http://www.iiml.ac.in/iiml_marketing/index.html
- Gossain, A. and Shainesh, G. (2011) ‘Impact of Service Recovery Fairness Perceptions On Customer Relationships' 2011 Academy of Marketing Science (AMS) World Marketing Congress, Reims School of Management, July 19-23. http://www.ams-web.org/cde.cfm?event=305386
- Shainesh, G. and Nagadevara, V. (2011) ‘An Approach to Engaging with Customers Enrolled in Rewards Program', 12th International Conference of the Society for Global Business & Economic Development (SGBED), Singapore Management University, July 21-23. http://sbus.montclair.edu/sgbed/conference/12/
- V Srinivasan , G. Shainesh and Anand K Sharma (2009), ‘An Approach to Customer-Based, Cost-Effective Service Enhancement: An Application to the Indian Railways Passenger Service' at the Third Great Lakes-NASMEI Marketing Conference during December 18-19, 2009 at Great Lakes Institute of Management, Manamai Campus, Chennai.
- Anuj Gossain and G. Shainesh (2009), ‘Consequences of Service Recovery Fairness Perceptions: An Experimental Investigation' accepted for presentation for the Quality in Services Symposium, QUIS 11, in Wolfsburg, Germany, June 11-14, 2009.
- Thomas Joffi, Ashok Pratap Arora & G. Shainesh (2009), ‘Effects of Customer Trust on Word of Mouth Communication: Examining Customer-Brand Relationship' in Conference on Asia-Pacific Advances in Consumer Research, Association for Consumer Research (ACR) & Indian School of Business (ISB) Hyderabad during January 2-4, 2009 at Hyderabad.
- Thomas, Joffi., Ashok Pratap Arora and G. Shainesh (2008) ‘Effects of Customer Trust on Purchase Intentions: Examining Customer-Brand Relationship' in Proceedings GREAT LAKES - NASMEI International Marketing Conference on Creating, Communicating, and Delivering Value, Dec. 22-23, 2008, Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai.
- Shainesh, G. and Messner, W. (2007), ‘Trust Building Process: People vs. Technology Intensive Service Interactions' presented at the International Marketing Conference on ‘Creating, Communicating, and Delivering Value in Growing Markets' Kotler-Srinivasan Center for Research in Marketing, Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai, and North American Society for Marketing Education in India during December 21-22, 2007.
- G. Shainesh (2006), ‘Marketing and Sustainability - Emerging Opportunities for Profitable Growth: Discussions' IIMB Management Review, March, pp. 69-84.
- Naresh K. Malhotra, James Agarwal, Francis M. Ulgado and G Shainesh (2006), ‘Differences in Perceived Service Quality Between Developed and Developing Countries: How Developing Countries Can Improve Their Competitiveness in the Outsourcing of Services', Proceedings of the IMRC2006 - Global Competitiveness through Outsourcing: Implications for Services & Manufacturing, July 13 - 15, 2006, Bangalore, India.
- G. Shainesh and Debanjan Dasgupta (2005), ‘Transitioning from Services to Products: A Roadmap for Software Service Providers', Proceedings of the 12th Biennial World Marketing Congress (Organised by the Academy of Marketing Science), July 6-9, 2005 at Muenster, Germany
Article in Business Periodicals
- Shainesh, G. (2007), ‘Environment-friendly Tag is not yet a Selling Point in India' Economic Times, August 16.
- Messner, Wolfgang and Shainesh G, (2006), ‘Retail Market India: Paradise for Foreign Banks', Die Bank, September, pp. 8-13.
- Shainesh, G., and Ramneesh, M., (2000), 'The Super intendance of Customer Kinship', Business and Strategy, August, pp. 19-22.