Ph.D, University of California Los Angeles, USA
M.A. Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
Monetary and Fiscal Policy; Global Financial Markets; Banking; Public Policy
Academic & Other Positions
IIM Bangalore: 1995- present
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, USA, 1988-1994
1. "Rising Food Prices & India's Monetary Policy" with Shrikant Kolhar, IIMB Working Paper, #325, Jan 2011 (Forthcoming in Indian Growth and Development Review).
2. "Stop the Specter of A Rupee Rise" Far Eastern Econ. Review,June 2007, special issue
3. "Don't Panic Over Delhi's Deficits" Far Eastern Econ. Review, June 2005, lead article
4. "India's Primary Deficit and Interest Payment Burden: An Assessment" Economic and Polictical Weekly Special Issue on 12th Finance Commission, June 26th- Jul 1st, 2004.
5. "Setting Small Saving and Provident Fund Rates" Economic and Political Weekly, October 6-13th 2001, pp. 1341-1349
6. "Bond Financing and Debt Stability: Theoretical Issues and Application to India" Reserve Bank of India Development Research Group Study # 19, with Bhupal Singh & Sarat Dhal, June 2000
7. "Predictable and Profitable Price Patterns: Evidence from U.S.Interest Rates" Economics Letters 51, pp. 101-107, North Holland, April 1996.
8. "Efficiency Aspects of Exchange Rate Response to News: Evidence from U.S. Employment Data" Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Vol. 1, 1995, pp. 1-17
9. "Targeting Nominal GNP", coauthored with S. Hilton in Intermediate Targets and Indicators for Monetary Policy, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, 1990.
10. "Unemployment Insurance in U.S. and Canada: The Role of Unemployment Insurance Benefits" in Federal Reserve Bank of New York Quarterly Review, 1989-90.
Chapters in Books:
1. "Rule Based Intervention to Reduce Rupee Volatility" November 2007, in InWENT-ICRIER Conference Volume, New Delhi, 2008 April.
2. "Capital Account Convertibility: How Should We Proceed"? in Management Perspectives, ed. N. Balasubramaniam, IIM 25th Year Special Volume, Macmillan.
A textbook titled Financial Macroeconomics: An Integrated Approach.
Select IIMB Working Papers:
1. "Capital Illusions About India's Revenue Deficit", #225, April 2004.
Select Newspaper articles (listed chronologically)
1. "Print Bonds, Not Money" and "Why Gentleman still Prefer Bonds", Economic Times, 24th July and 4th August 1995, rejoinders to a former Reserve Bank of India Governor.
2. "IMF and The East-Asian Debacle", Economic Times, 31st November 1998
3. "Sir Alan's Day of Judgement" (2003) with V.R. Pradeep Business Line, January 17th.
4. Men at Work : Accountants Needed?; Financial Express, 14th April, 2003
5. "Unclog roads with a vehicle area tax", Economic Times, 6th January, 2006.
6. "Legacy of Friedman Versus Keynes", Business Lines, 16th November, 2007.
7. "Public Transport Policy Revisited", Economic Times, 26th February, 2008.
8. "Rupee Futures : A Wise Move?", Mint, 28th August, 2008.
9. "Bernanke's Bond Market Bash", Mint, 30th December, 2008.
Full list of publications on my website economicsperiscope.com