- Her research interests concern the WTO, international trade in services, regional integration and migration.
- She has received several research grants including from the British High Commission’s India Prosperity Fund, the British Council, the European Commission and the Ministry of Finance, Govt of India.
- She has undertaken research and professional assignments for international organizations such as the ILO, WHO, UNDP, UNCTAD, ADB, ADBI, OECD, World Bank, World Trade Institute, South Centre, IOM, Petersen Institute for International Economics and for Indian organizations such as ICRIER, CUTS, CENTAD and IIFT.
- She has published extensively and has presented her work at conferences, workshops, and seminars, both nationally and internationally.
- She has authored two books, namely, Integrating Services in South Asia: Trade, Investment, and Mobility (OUP) and Globalization of Services: India’s Opportunities and Constraints in 2002 (OUP), co-authored a book titled, Legal Services Liberalization and Reforms in India: Perspectives and Dynamics (Sage), edited a book titled, India’s Trade in Services: Prospects and Strategies in 2006 (Wiley-India) and co-edited two books titled Trade in Services and Trade Agreements: The Case of India and the European Union (Sage) and India-EU People Mobility: Historical, Economic and Regulatory Dimensions (Cambridge University Press).
- She has written journal articles, working papers, and chapters in books and handbooks in her areas of research interest, such as on globalization, trade, services, the Indian economy, health and the WTO.
- At IIMB, she has taught courses in Macroeconomics, International Trade, Managerial Economics and modules on Trade, Investment and Industry in courses on Current Economic Scenario and on Globalization.
- She has taught sessions on the Indian Economy, the.WTO and Economics for Managers in executive development programmes.
- She is a recipient of the Dewang Mehta Award for Best Economics Teacher (2008)
- She is a recipient of the ICFAI Best Teacher Awards from the Association of Indian Management Schools (2006)
- She received the Alumni Award for Best Faculty at IIMB (2012)
- She was selected for the Research Chair Award (2005-2007)
- She is a recipient of the US Presidential Award for Academic Fitness, the New York State Governor’s Committee for Scholastic Achievement Award, the Phi Beta Kappa distinction as well as the Harvard Scholarship and the Elizabeth Gary Agassiz Award at Harvard University and the Faculty Fellow distinction at Columbia University.
- She has served as an Area Chair
- She has served as a Board Member
- She has served as a member of the Faculty Development and Evaluation Committee
- She has served as the Chairperson of the Financial Aid Committee
- She has served as a member of various institute committees and is currently a member of the Research and Publications and the Library Committee.
- She is currently a member of several external committees and councils, including the Ministry of Commerce’s Taskforce on Services Sector Exports, the Advisory Board to the Services Export Promotion Council and the CII Services Council.
- Some of her earlier professional engagements include membership of the MoIA’s Academic Working Group on India-EU Labour Mobility Partnership, the Planning Commission’s High Level Group on Services, the Board of Approval for Special Economic Zones, the Planning Commission’s Subcommittee on Internationalization of Higher Education, the Advisory Group for a proposed Bangalore School of Economics and the Central Statistical Organization’s Expert Group on Compilation of Data for International Trade in Services.
- She is currently a member of the editorial board for the Journal of International Commerce and Economic Policy (World Scientific) and Migration and Development (Routledge) and earlier for the Journal of Indian Business Research (Emerald).
- PhD, Columbia University, USA (specialization in International Trade and Macroeconomics)
- MPhil and MA in Economics, Columbia University, USA
- Advanced BA, Harvard University
Research grants and professional assignments
She has undertaken consulting and professional assignments for international organizations such as the ILO, WHO, UNDP, UNCTAD, ADB, ADBI, OECD, World Bank, World Trade Institute, South Centre, IOM, Petersen Institute for International Economics and for Indian organizations such as ICRIER, CUTS, CENTAD and IIFT.