Ph.D. (Public Policy and Management) - The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, USA-Sep 1985- Jan 1992
M. A (Economics), Fordham University, NY, USA, Sep 1984- Aug 1985
B. A (Economics, History and Political Science), St. Joseph's College, Bangalore University, July 1981- Aug 1984
Environmental Policy; Risk Analysis; Public Policy; Risk Management
"Establishing an Urban Management Program," St. Joseph's College of Business Administration, Bangalore, 2004
Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of Karnataka and the World Bank, "State of the Environment Report-Karnataka," 2003
Government of Karnataka "Revitalising Kolar Gold Fields," Non-official member of Committee set up by Government of Karnataka, 2003.
PricewaterhouseCoopers and Karnataka Power Transmission Corporation Limited "Communicating Power Sector Reform," 2002
Karnataka Administrative Reforms Commission "Functional Review of Urban Development Department," 2001
IIM Bangalore: 2000- present
Research Fellow in Science and Public Policy, University of Oklahoma, USA, 1999-2000
Associate Professor of Political Science, University of Oklahoma, USA, 1999-2000
Assistant Professor of Political Science, University of Oklahoma, USA, 1992-1999
Coordinator, Interdisciplinary Perspectives on the Environment Program, University of Oklahoma, USA, 1999
Visiting Scholar, Center for Jurisprudence and Social Policy- Law School (Boalt Hall), University of California, Berkeley, USA, 1991
John M. Olin Post-doctoral Fellow in Law and Economics- Law School (Boalt Hall), University of California, Berkeley, USA, 1991
Other Professional Appointments:
Carnegie Council Global Ethics Fellow, 2012-present
Member, Central Board, Reserve Bank of India, 2011-present
Director, General Insurance Corporation of India, 2007-2010
Member, Executive Council, Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development, 2008-present
Invited Columnist, Bangalore BIAS, Business World, Deccan Herald, Economic Times, India Today, Sunday Indian Express, Times of India, and Invited Quiz Columnist, Outlook
John M. Olin Post-doctoral Fellowship in Law & Economics, University of California, Berkeley, USA
University Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania, USA
Loyola Fellowship, Fordham University, USA
1. Judgments, Decisions, and Public Policy: Behavioral Decision Theory Perspectives and Applications, (Editor, with Jeffrey Fox), New York: Cambridge University Press, 2002
2. Integrating Insurance and Risk Management for Hazardous Wastes, (Co-editor, with Howard Kunreuther), Boston: Kluwer, 1990
Articles and Book Chapters:
1. "Mentoring India's Youth", (with Arundhuti Gupta), IIM Kozhikode Society & Management Review, July 1, 2012
1. "Reforming Indian Party Financing and Electoral Expenditure Laws," (with E. Sridharan), Election Law Journal, Vol 11; No 2, 2012.
2. "Karnataka: Descent into Democratic Decadence," Seminar, April 2011.
3. "Indian Political Parties and Democracy." (with E. Sridharan), in Political Parties and Democracy: A Five Volume Comparative Survey, Kay Lawson and Baogang He (editors), Praeger, forthcoming 2010.
4. "Early Indian Initiatives in E-Democracy," International Journal of Electronic Governance, Vol. 1, No. 2, 2008, pp. 174-189.
5. "Parties and the Party System: 1947-2006," (with E. Sridharan), in State of India's Democracy, Larry Diamond, Sumit Ganguly, and Marc Plattner (editors), Johns Hopkins University Press, 2007, pp. 3-25.
6. "E-lectoral Reforms in India" in E-Government: Macro Issues (ed. R. K. Mitra), New Delhi: GIFT Publishing, 2006
7. "Transport and the Environment, Urban Planning and the Environment" (with K.M. Anantharamaiah, Aparna Sawhney and Somashekhar Reddy), in State of the Environment: Karnataka, Government of Karnataka, 2004.
8. "Integrating Politics with the Social Amplification of Risk Framework," in The Social Amplification of Risk, Nick Pidgeon, Roger E. Kasperson, and Paul Slovic (eds), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003.
9. "Enhancing the effectiveness of innovative policy instruments: the implications of behavioral decision theory for right-to-know policies," in Judgments, Decisions, and Public Policy: Behavioral Decision Theory Perspectives and Applications, (Rajeev Gowda and Jeffrey Fox, editors), New York: Cambridge University Press, 2002.
10. "Urban Development Department: A Functional Review," (with K.M. Anantharamaiah), in Report of the Karnataka Administrative Reforms Commission, Government of Karnataka, 2001.
11. "Globalization: The Challenges Facing India." Proceedings of the Evian VI Plenary Meeting on "Restoring Confidence, Momentum, & Vision to the Global Liberal Order," Institute for Management and Development, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2001.
12. "Voluntary Siting and Equity: The MRS Facility Experience in Native America," (with Doug Easterling). Risk Analysis. 2000. Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 917-930.
13. "Heuristics, Biases, and the Regulation of Risk," Policy Sciences 31(1), 1999, pp. 1-20.
14. "Social Trust & Risk Management: Cross-Cultural Insights from Native America," in Advances in Social Trust Theory & Research, G. Cvetkovich & R. Lofstedt (Eds), London: Earthscan, 1999.
15. "Nuclear Waste and Native America: The MRS Siting Exercise," (with Doug Easterling), Risk: Health, Safety, and Environment, 9, 1998, Summer, pp. 229-258.
16. "Of Nuclear Energy and Acceptable Risk-The Relevance of Social Science to Societal Technology Choices," (with P.O.Long), Studies in the Social Sciences, 35, April 1998, pp. 74-84.
17. "Students' Understanding of Climate Change: Insights for Scientists and Educators," (w. J Fox & R. Magelky), Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 78(10), 1997, pp. 2232-40.
18. "Teaching the Prisoners' Dilemma," Journal of Policy Analysis & Management, 15(4), 1996.
19. "Attitudes Toward Managing Hazardous Waste: What Should Be Cleaned Up & Who Should Pay for It?" (with Jonathan Baron & Howard Kunreuther), Risk Analysis, 13(2), 1993.
Work in Progress: