Ph.D (Reliability Engineering), University of Exeter, UK
M.Sc (Applied Mathematics), Hyderabad Central University
BA, Osmania University, Hyderabad
Data Envelopment Analysis; Total Quality Management; Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma; New Product and Process Development; Estimation of Productivity and Efficiency; Empirical Research on Indian manufacturing industries, in particular automotive and Pharmaceutical Industries.
Recent Consulting & Training:
- Designed and delivered a workshop on "Lean Manufacturing" for Suzlon Energy Ltd. in 2008
- Designed and delivered programs for Senior Sourcing executives in Tata Motors in 2011
- Designed and delivered programs for Senior managers in Bosch Group during 2011 - 2012
- Designed and delivered programs for Dealer CEOs of Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. during 2011 - 2012
"Weapon Systems Acquisition and Management Using Performance Based Logistics" Project approved by Army Management Studies Board, India, 2008 - 2010.
"India's Industrial Capability Formation in Comparison to China: Automobile and IT Industries" Project funded by Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization, Chiba, Japan, 2009-2010.
"Strategic level decisions in sourcing: Competitiveness of the Indian auto component Industry" Project funded by European Aeronautic Defence and Space (EADS), 2009 - till date.
Associate Professor --- IIM Bangalore: May 2009 - current
Assistant Professor --- IIM Bangalore: September 2006 - April 2009
Guest Faculty, Department of Systems Engineering and Engineering Management, Stevens Institute of Technology, Castle Point on Hudson, Hoboken, New Jersey, USA, April 2006-till date
Visiting Scholar, Department of Operations and Management Sciences, Stern School of Business, New York University, New York, USA, October 2005- July 2006
Post Doctoral Fellow, Indian School of Business Hydearbad, India, May 2004- September 2005
Full time Visiting Assistant Professor, Operations Management, IIM Calcutta, April 2001- April 2004
Research Fellow, Centre M.I.R.C.E, Faculty of Engineering, University of Exeter, UK, September 1997- December 2000
Junior Research Fellow, Department of Mathematics, IIT Bombay, June 1993- October 1996.
Publications in Refereed International Journals:
- Kumaraswamy, A., Mudambi, R., Saranga, H., Tripathy, A. (2012) Catch-up strategies in the Indian auto component industry: Domestic Firms' responses to market liberalization, Journal of International Business Studies. Vol.43, pp.368-395.
- Effect of QMS and TQM on Productivity Before and After: Empirical Evidence from the Indian Auto Component Industry, Forthcoming in Production and Operations Management. (with Ananth Iyer and Sridhar Seshadri)
- Optimal Deployment of Parallel Teams in New Product Development, International Journal of Operational Research. (2011) Vol. 10, No. 2, pp.137-158.
- Performance evaluation of Purchasing and Supply Management using Value Chain DEA Approach. European Journal of Operational Research. (2010) Vol.207, pp.197-205. (with Roger Moser)
- Analysis of hedge fund strategies using slack-based DEA models. Journal of Operational Research Society. (2010) Vol.61, pp. 1746-1760. (with U D Kumar, A B Roy and K Singal)
- Productivity and Technical Changes in the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry. Journal of Operational Research Society. R. (2010) Vol.61, pp. 1777-1788. (with Rajiv Banker)
- Optimal Selection of Obsolescence Mitigation Strategies Using a Restless Bandit Model, European Journal of Operational Research. (2010) Vol. 200, pp. 170-180. (with Dinesh Kumar, U)
- The Indian Auto Component Industry - Estimation of Operational Efficiency and its Determinants using DEA, European Journal of Operational Research, (2009) Vol. 196(2), 707-718.
- Determinants of Operational Efficiencies in the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry", International Transactions in Operations Research, (2009) Vol.16, pp.109-130. (with B.V. Phani)
- Multiple Objective DEA as Applied to the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry, Journal of Operational Research Society, (2007) Vol.58, 1480-1493.
- Six Sigma Project Selection using Data Envelopment Analysis, The TQM Magazine, (2007) Vol.19(5), 419-441. (with Dinesh Kumar, U., Nowicki, D., Jose, R., and Verma, D.)
- Optimisation of Aircraft Maintenance and Support Infrastructure using Genetic Algorithms --- Level of Repair Analysis, Annals of Operations Research, (2006) Vol. 143, 89-104. (with Dinesh Kumar, U.)
- Opportunistic Maintenance using Genetic Algorithms. Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, MCB University Press. (2004) Vol. 10, No.1, pp. 66-74
- Relevant Condition Parameter Strategy as an effective Condition based Maintenance, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, MCB University Press, (2002) Vol.8, No.1, pp. 92-105.
- Reliability Prediction for Condition Based Maintained Systems. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, Elsevier Science, (2001) Vol.71, pp 219-224. (with Knezevic, J.)
- Reliability Analysis Using Multiple Relevant Condition Parameters, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, MCB University Press, (2000) Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 165-176. (with Knezevic, J.)
- Finite Element Galerkin Method for the "Good" Boussinesq Equation. Nonlinear Analysis, Methods & Applications, (1997) Vol. 29, No. 8, pp.937-956. (with Pani, A.K.)
'Reliability and Six Sigma', Springer, February 2006 (with U Dinesh Kumar, J Crocker, and T Chitra)
Flow line in a Job shop - the story of Ace Designers, IIM Bangalore Case, published in Harvard Business School Case portal. (2011) (with Sulakshana S., and Mario Gonsalves.)