- PhD (Accounting), University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
- BCom, St. Joseph's College, University of Madras
- ACA, The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, New Delhi
- ACMA, The Institute of Cost Accountants of India, Calcutta
- ACS, The Institute of Company Secretaries of India, New Delhi
- Diploma in Management Accountancy, The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, New Delhi
Narayanaswamy has published his research in many international journals including Accounting Horizons, The British Accounting Review, The International Journal of Accounting, The Journal of International Financial Management and Accounting, Research in Accounting Regulation, Accountancy International and his paper was recently accepted for Accounting Horizons. He is the author of Financial Accounting: A Managerial Perspective, an MBA-level text published by PHI Learning (fifth edition, 2014).
Professor Narayanaswamy’s courses in postgraduate and executive programmes include Financial Accounting and Financial Statement Analysis and Valuation.
He has worked with many companies on financial reporting, financial analysis and cost management systems. He was an independent director and chairman of the audit committee of The Indian Railway Finance Corporation Limited (2005-2011). He was a Special Invitee on the Accounting Standards Board (2001-2002 and 2009-2010), the Auditing and Assurance Standards Board (2008-2009 and 2010-2011) and the Committee on Accounting Standards for Local Bodies (2014-1015). Currently, he is an independent director of the Bank of Baroda (2014-2017).