Ph. D., The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, USA, 1989
B. Tech. Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University, India, 1983
Manufacturing management; Supply chain coordination; Building technological capabilities; Hi-tech entrepreneurship
Director, IIM Bangalore, India, December 2007- September 2013
Professor, IIM Ahmedabad, India, July 1997- November 2012
Visiting Professor, Johnson Graduate School of Management, Cornell University, Ithaca, USA, October 2004
Visiting Professor, International University of Japan, Nigaata, Japan, May 2003- June 2003 & May 2004 - June 2004
Chairperson, Doctoral Programmes, IIM Ahmedabad, India, April 2003 - March 2005
Associate Dean (Academic Affairs & Post Graduate Programme) and Professor, Indian School of Business, Hyderabad, India, May 2001 - January 2002
Chairperson, Centre for Innovation, Incubation & Entrepreneurship, IIM Ahmedabad, India, May 1999 - April 2001 & November 2006 - December 2007
Associate Professor of Operations Management (tenured), Faculty of Management, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, June 1994 - April 1995
Assistant Professor of Operations Management, Faculty of Management, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, July 1988 - May 1994
Member, Groupe d'etudes et de recherche en analyse des decisions (GERAD - a Research Centre in Decision Sciences, Montreal), Montreal, Canada, April 1989 - April 1995
Visiting Professor, Department of Industrial Economics, Renmin University, Beijing, China, May 1992
Visiting Professor, Faculte SES - COMIN, University of Geneva, Switzerland, May 1991 - June 1991
Lecturer, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, USA, September 1986 - December 1986
Research Associate, The World Bank, Washington D.C., USA, June 1985 - September 1985
Research Associate, University of Alaska, Fairbanks, USA, September 1983 - July 1984
Professional Appointments, National Committees & Sub-Committees:
Founding President, Society of Operations Management (a professional society in India), 2000-2002
On the Board of Directors of some companies & aided in formation of several startups
Chairman, IIMB Innovations (a section 25 company), April 2010 - current
Member of Governing Council, India Design Council, Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India, 2013-current
Member, Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) Sub Committee on National Mission on Teachers and Teaching, Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India, 2012-current
Member, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), Government of India, February 2012-current
Chairperson, Subcommittee on Student Financial Aid,12th Plan Steering Committee for Higher Education, Planning Commission, Government of India, 2011
Member, Steering Committees (Industry & Higher Education) for 12th Five Year Plan Preparation, Planning Commission, Government of India, 2011
Member, Committee on Transition to NCHER, Government of India, 2010-current
Member, Committee on Autonomy of Central Universities, IITs, and IIMs, Government of India, 2010-2011
Member, The Committee to Advise on the Renovation and Rejuvenation of Higher Education in India, (Yashpal Committee) Government of India, 2008-2009. National Commission for Enterprises in the Unorganized Sector, Government of India 2007-2009
Chairman, National Committee on Delays in Strategic Defence Production, Ministry of Defence, Government of India, 2008
Member, National Board of Accreditation, 2007-2009
Member , Army Management Studies Board, Army Training Command, Shimla, 2007-current
Member, Standing Committee on Police Training, Bureau of Police Research and Development, Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India, 2009-current
Member, Board of Governors/Executive Committee: IIIT Bangalore, IBAP Bangalore, Central University of Punjab, NASSCOM, All India Management Association, Ahmedabad University, Royal Institute of Management Bhutan
Member, the Institute of Operations Research and Management Sciences, USA
Life Member, Operations Research Society of India
Life Member, Society of Operations Management, India
- Palsule-Desai, O., D. Tirupati, P. Chandra, "Stability Issues in Supply Chain Networks: Implications for Coordination Mechanisms," Forthcoming International Journal of Production Economics.
- Chandra, P., P. Mehta and D. Tirupati, "Permutation Flowshop Scheduling with Earliness and Tardiness Penalties," International Journal of Production Research, 47, 20, 5591-5610, 2009.
- Chandra, P. and N. Jain, "The Logistics Sector in India: Overview and Challenges," in Indian Economic Superpower: Fiction or Future? J.Swaminathan (ed.), World Scientific Press, Singapore, pp, 105-134, 2009.
- Chandra, P., "Returning Competition to the Factory Floor: Building Manufacturing Capabilities," in India and the Global Economy, Rajiv Kumar and Abhijit Sen Gupta (eds.), Academic Foundation and ICRIER, New Delhi, 2008.
- Basant, R. and P. Chandra, "Role of Educational and R&D Institutions in City Clusters," An Exploratory Study of Bangalore and Pune Regions," World Development, V 35, No 6, 1037-1055, 2007.
- Basant, R. and P. Chandra, "University-Industry Links and Enterprise Creation in India: Some Strategic and Policy Issues," How Universities Promote Economic Growth, S. Yusuf and K. Nabeshima (eds.), The World Bank, Washington D.C., 209-226, 2007.
- Chandra, P. "Governance in Higher Education: A Contested Space (Making the University Work)," mimeo, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore, 2012
- Basant, R., P. Chandra, and R. Upadhyayula. "Knowledge Flows and Capability Building in the Indian IT Sector: A Comparative Analysis of Cluster and Non-Cluster Locations," mimeo, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore, 2011
- Chandra, P. "Competitiveness of Indian Manufacturing: Findings of the Third National Manufacturing Survey," Report for the National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council, New Delhi, March 2009.
- Basant, R., P. Chandra, and R. Sahrawat. "IT Adoption in the Indian Auto-Component Industry, " Report for NASSCOM, 2007.
- Chandra, P. "Networks of Small Producers for Technological Innovations: Some Models," Working Paper No. 2006-03-02, IndianInstitute of Management, Ahmedabad, 2006
- Sagar, A. D. and P. Chandra, "Technological Change in the Indian Automobile Industry," Working Paper #, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, JF Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, 2005
- Chandra, P. and D. Tirupati, "Managing Complex Networks in Emerging Markets: The Story of AMUL," Working Paper No. 2002-5-1, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, 2003
- Technology, Practices, and Competitiveness: The Primary Textile Industry in Canada, China and India," P. Chandra (ed.), Himalaya Publishing House, Mumbai, 1998