Ph. D., The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, USA, 1989
B. Tech. Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University, India, 1983
Manufacturing management, building technological capabilities, supply chain coordination, higher education policy, and hi-tech entrepreneurship
Professor, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (12/07-current; on leave)
Director, IIM Bangalore, India, December 2007- September 2013
Professor, IIM Ahmedabad, India, July 1997- October 2013
Chairperson, Doctoral Programmes, IIM Ahmedabad, India, April 2003 - March 2005
Visiting Professor, Johnson Graduate School of Management, Cornell University, Ithaca, USA, October 2004
Visiting Professor, International University of Japan, Nigaata, Japan, May 2003- June 2003 & May 2004 - June 2004
Associate Dean (Academic Affairs & Post Graduate Programme) and Professor, Indian School of Business, Hyderabad, India, May 2001 - January 2002
Chairperson, Centre for Innovation, Incubation & Entrepreneurship, IIM Ahmedabad, India, May 1999 - April 2001 & November 2006 - December 2007
Associate Professor of Operations Management (tenured), Faculty of Management, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, June 1994 - April 1995
Assistant Professor of Operations Management, Faculty of Management, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, July 1988 - May 1994
Member, Groupe d'etudes et de recherche en analyse des decisions (GERAD - a Research Centre in Decision Sciences, Montreal), Montreal, Canada, April 1989 - April 1995
Visiting Professor, Department of Industrial Economics, Renmin University, Beijing, China, May 1992
Visiting Professor, Faculte SES - COMIN, University of Geneva, Switzerland, May 1991 - June 1991
Lecturer, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, USA, September 1986 - December 1986
Research Associate, The World Bank, Washington D.C., USA, June 1985 - September 1985
Research Associate, University of Alaska, Fairbanks, USA, September 1983 - July 1984
Distinguished Award, Karnataka Employers Association, Bangalore, 2013
National Education Leadership Award, ET NOW, Mumbai, 2013
Distinguished Alumni Award, Banaras Hindu University, 2012
Bharat Asmita Acharya Shrestha Award, MIT Institutions Pune, 2011
18th Dewang Mehta Business School Awards, Best Teacher in Operations Management, 2010
Distinguished Alumni Award, Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University, 2009
Alumni Award, All India ITBHU Alumni Association, New Delhi, 2009
Courses & teaching consistently rated among the top 5 per cent both at IIMA and McGill
OM Course ranked highest in the DMA program, Universite de Geneve, 1991, International University of Japan, 2003, 2004, Cornell University, 2004
Best Student Paper Award, Delaware Valley ORSA/TIMS Student Paper Contest, 1986, Philadelphia, USA
AIME/SME Scholastic Achievement Award, University of Alaska, 1984
J.N. Tata Scholar (National Merit Award), 1983-1984
University Merit Scholarship, 1981-1982
Professional Appointments, National Committees & Sub-Committees:
Member, Rashtriya Uchchatar Siksha Abhiyan (RUSA Authority - one of the COMMITTEE regulators for Higher Education for India that also allocates funds to Universities). Ministry of HRD, Government of India, 2013-present
Member of Governing Council, India Design Council, Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India, 2013-present
Member, Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) Committee on National Mission on Teachers and Teaching, Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India, 2012-2013.
Member, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI is the Telecom Regulator of India), Government of India, February 2012-December 2013.
Chairperson, Subcommittee on Student Financial Aid, 12th Plan Steering Committee for Higher Education, Planning Commission, Government of India, 2011.
Member, Steering Committees (Industry & Higher Education) for 12th Five Year Plan Preparation, Planning Commission, Government of India, 2011
Member, Committee on Transition to NCHER, Government of India, 2010-2011
Member, Committee on Autonomy of Central Universities, IITs, and IIMs, Government of India, 2010-2011
Member, The Committee to Advise on the Renovation and Rejuvenation of Higher Education in India, (Yashpal Committee) Government of India, 2008-2009.
National Commission for Enterprises in the Unorganized Sector, Government of India 2007-2009.
Chairman, National Committee on Delays in Strategic Defence Production, Ministry of Defence, Government of India, 2008
Member, National Board of Accreditation, 2007-2009
Member , Army Management Studies Board, Army Training Command, Shimla, 2007-2013.
Member, Standing Committee on Police Training, Bureau of Police Research and Development, Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India, 2009-2013.
Member/Chairperson, Search & Selection Committees for Various Senior Positions, Government of India Ministries & Public Sector Enterprises.
Member, Board of Governors/Governing Council (past & present): IIIT Bangalore (present), IBAP Bangalore, Central University of Punjab, NASSCOM, All India Management Association, Ahmedabad University (present), Royal Institute of Management Bhutan, IIT Jodhpur (present), University of Pennsylvania Institute of Advanced Study of India, IMT Ghaziabad (present).
On the Board of Directors of several private and publicly listed companies. Have helped in setting up of several startups. Former Chairman, IIMB Innovations (a section 25 company - holding company for all entrepreneurship activities at IIMB).
IIM, Ahmedabad, Chairperson, Centre for Innovation, Incubations & Entrepreneurship (CIIE), 1999 (IIMA/McGill) 2001 (founding Chair), 2006-2007
Chairperson, Doctoral Programme, 2003-2005
Chairperson, Production & Quantitative Methods Area, 1997-1999
Policy & Perspectives Committee, 1997-1999, 2003-2005
Member, Executive Committee, Centre for Innovation, Incubation & Entrepreneurship, 1999-2007
Member, Post Graduate Program Review Committee, 1995-97
Member, Committee for Future Directions, 1996-97
Member, Research & Publications Committee 1996-98, 2000-2002, 2003-2005, PGP Committee 2003-2005 (ex-officio), Research Staff Evaluation & Development Committee 2003-current (ex-officio), Planning Committee 2003-2005(ex-officio), Library Committee 1995, Alumni Committee 1997-1999 and Faculty Recruitment Committee of various areas.
Served of various Faculty Recruitment, Staff Selection, Promotion & Probation Completion Committees. Served on various Institute level grievance & conflict resolution committees.
- Chandra, P. "Governance in Higher Education: A Contested Space (Making the University Work)," Forthcoming in Higher Education in India, eds. Devesh Kapur and Pratap Bhanu Mehta, Orient Blackswan.
- Chandra, P. "Networks of Small Producers for Technological Innovations: Some Models," Rethinking Innovations: Global Perspecives eds. Ram Subramanian, Martin Rahe, Vishnuprasad Nagadevara, and C Jayachandran, Routledge, 145-191, 2014.
- Palsule-Desai, O., D. Tirupati, P. Chandra, "Stability Issues in Supply Chain Networks: Implications for Coordination Mechanisms," Forthcoming International Journal of Production Economics.
- Chandra, P., P. Mehta and D. Tirupati, "Permutation Flowshop Scheduling with Earliness and Tardiness Penalties," International Journal of Production Research, 47, 20, 5591-5610, 2009.
- Chandra, P. and N. Jain, "The Logistics Sector in India: Overview and Challenges," in Indian Economic Superpower: Fiction or Future? J.Swaminathan (ed.), World Scientific Press, Singapore, pp, 105-134, 2009.
- Chandra, P., "Returning Competition to the Factory Floor: Building Manufacturing Capabilities," in India and the Global Economy, Rajiv Kumar and Abhijit Sen Gupta (eds.), Academic Foundation and ICRIER, New Delhi, 2008.
- Basant, R. and P. Chandra, "Role of Educational and R&D Institutions in City Clusters," An Exploratory Study of Bangalore and Pune Regions," World Development, V 35, No 6, 1037-1055, 2007.
- Basant, R. and P. Chandra, "University-Industry Links and Enterprise Creation in India: Some Strategic and Policy Issues," How Universities Promote Economic Growth, S. Yusuf and K. Nabeshima (eds.), The World Bank, Washington D.C., 209-226, 2007.
- Kapur, D., P. Chandra, and R. Kamal. "Growth, Capabilities, and Higher Education: Human Capital in the Indian Life Sciences Industry, mimeo, 2013
- Basant, R., P. Chandra, and R. Upadhyayula. "Knowledge Flows and Capability Building in the Indian IT Sector: A Comparative Analysis of Cluster and Non-Cluster Locations," mimeo, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore, 2011
- Chandra, P. "Competitiveness of Indian Manufacturing: Findings of the Third National Manufacturing Survey," Report for the National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council, New Delhi, March 2009.
- Basant, R., P. Chandra, and R. Sahrawat. "IT Adoption in the Indian Auto-Component Industry, " Report for NASSCOM, 2007.
- Chandra, P. "Networks of Small Producers for Technological Innovations: Some Models," Working Paper No. 2006-03-02, IndianInstitute of Management, Ahmedabad, 2006
- Sagar, A. D. and P. Chandra, "Technological Change in the Indian Automobile Industry," Working Paper #, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, JF Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, 2005
- Chandra, P. and D. Tirupati, "Managing Complex Networks in Emerging Markets: The Story of AMUL," Working Paper No. 2002-5-1, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, 2003
- Technology, Practices, and Competitiveness: The Primary Textile Industry in Canada, China and India," P. Chandra (ed.), Himalaya Publishing House, Mumbai, 1998
Thirteenth Annual Conference on Indian Economic Policy Reform, Stanford Centre for International Development, Stanford University, September 27-28, 2012
Workshop on Issues of Higher Education, Centre for Policy Research-CASI University of Pennsylvania, New Delhi, August 2011
INFORMS International, Toronto, June 2009
Fourth International Conference on Global Manufacturing & China, National Institute for Innovation Management, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, September 8-9, 2008 (Keynote Speaker)
IDE Japan Research Workshop on India-China Industrialization, Shandong, China, October 28-Nov 3, 2007
Third International Conference on Global Manufacturing & China, National Institute for Innovation Management, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, September 7-8, 2007 (Keynote Speaker)
10th Annual Conference of the Society of Operations Management, IIM Ahmedabad, December 21-23, 2006 (Conference Co-Chair).
INFORMS International, Hong Kong, June 25-28, 2006.
9th. Annual Conference of the Society of Operations Management, Pondicherry University, December 22-24, 2005.
7th Annual Conference of the Society of Operations Management, NITIE, Mumbai, December 22-24, 2004.
EURO/INFORMS Joint International Meeting, Istanbul, Turkey, July 6-10, 2003.
Workshop on India and Technological Innovation, Jointly organized by the Division of Engineering & Applied Sciences and the John F Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, May 6-7, 2003
VI Annual Conference of the Society of Operations Management, IIM Kozikhode, December 20-22, 2002 (President of Society & Presentation).
5th Annual SOM Conference, SP Jain Institute of Management Research, Mumbai, December 21-23, 2002 (President of Society & Presentation).
6th Cambridge Symposium on International Manufacturing, Centre for International Manufacturing, University of Cambridge, UK, September 2001 (Presentation)
4th OM Conference, IIT Chennai, December 2000 (Presentation & Session Chair)
3rd OM Workshop, IIM Lucknow, January 2000 (Presentation)
2nd. OM Workshop, IIM Bangalore, December, 1998 (Presentation & Session Chair)
2nd. ISMOT Conference, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, November 1998 (Presentation)
Ist. OM Workshop, IIM Ahmedabad, December, 1997 (Coordinator & Presentation) Founder of the workshop which grew into SOM Conference.
ORSI Convention, New Delhi, December 1995 (Presentation and Session Chair).
INFORMS International, Singapore, June 1995 (Presentation, Session Chair, Cluster Chair in Manufacturing Management).
IFIP Working Group 5.7 Conference on the Evaluation of Production Management Methods, March, 1994, Gramado, Brazil.
Joint ORSA/TIMS Conference, Sponsored Session, Phoenix, November, 1993 (Presentation and Session Chair).
Montreal Manufacturing Workshop, June 1993, (Presentation and Co-Chair).
FORUM93, Operations Management Association Conference, Montreal, 1993 (Research Panelist:Service Implications and Directions for Future Research in Manufacturing Operations).
Optimization Days Conference, Montreal, May 1993 (Presentation).
Joint ORSA/TIMS Conference, Invited Session, San Francisco, November 1992 (Presentation and Session Chair).
Montreal Manufacturing Workshop, September 1992 (Presentation and Co-Chair).
Annual Conference, Operations Research Society of India, Bangalore, December 1991 (Presentations and Session Chair).
Joint ORSA/TIMS Conference, Philadelphia, October 1990 (Presentation)
CORS/ORSA/TIMS Conference, Invited Session, Vancouver, April 1989 (Presentation).
Joint ORSA/TIMS Conference, Washington D.C., May 1988 (Presentation).
Joint ORSA/TIMS Conference, New Orleans, May 1987 (Presentation).