- Leon Schiffman, Joseph Wisenblit, and Ramesh Kumar S., "Consumer Behavior" 11 Ed. (Textbook) Pearson Education, 2015
- Ramesh Kumar S., (Editor), "Cases in Consumer Behavior - With Coverage on the Indian Context", Pearson-Ivey Publication, 2012
- Ramesh Kumar S., (Editor), "Cases In Marketing Management - With Coverage of the Indian Context", Pearson-Ivey Publication, 2011
- Leon Schiffman, Lazar Kauk, and Ramesh Kumar S. in collaboration with Joseph Wisenblit,"Consumer Behavior" 10 Ed. (Textbook) Pearson Education, 2010
- Ramesh Kumar S., "Consumer Behavior and Branding - Concepts, Readings and Cases (The Indian Context)", Pearson Education, 2009
- Ramesh Kumar S., "Marketing and Branding - The Indian Scenario", Pearson Education India, 2006
- Ramesh Kumar S., "Conceptual Issues in Consumer Behavior - The Indian Context", Pearson Education, Singapore, 2003
- Ramesh Kumar S., "Managing Indian Brands - Concepts and Strategies", Vikas Publications, 2001
- Ramesh Kumar S., "Application Exercises in Marketing - Indian Context", Vikas Publications, 2000
- Ramesh Kumar S., "Marketing Nuggets - Conceptual Dimensions in Marketing", Vikas Publications, 1998
- Ramesh Kumar S., Shankar Sethuramalingam, and Janakiraman Jagannath, "Cultural Symbolism and an Entrepreneurial Brand - The Indian Context", IIMB-Harvard Business School Case Series, 2015.
- Ramesh Kumar S., Nalin Goel and Gireesh Gera, “Sensory Branding: Oreo in the Indian Context”, IIM-B – Harvard Business School case series, 2015
- Ramesh Kumar S., Venkata Seshagiri Rao., and Narayana Trinadh Kotturu, "Himalaya Drug Company: Repositioning an Herbal Bath Soap", Ivey Case, 2014.
- Ramesh Kumar S. and Amod Choudhary, "Brand Revitalizing and Brand Reinforcement: The Case of Arrow Shirts in the Indian Context", IIMB-Harvard Business School Case Series, 2012.
- Ramesh Kumar S. and Eric Minj, "Exploring Brand Associations in the Indian Context: Café Coffee Day", IIMB-Harvard Business School Case Series, 2012.
- Ramesh Kumar S. and Eric Minj, "Himalaya Face Wash: Brand Associations and Lifestyles", Ivey Case, 2012.
- Ramesh Kumar S. and Arun Bhattacharyya, "VNFPP Ltd: Using Holistic Marketing in a Small Enterprise Context" (first published by Emerald Emerging Market Case Studies, 2012), IIMB-Harvard Business School Case Series, 2012.
- Ramesh Kumar S., Ande Teja and Syed Hussain, "Exploring Category Benefits for Brand Building - Kaya and the Beauty Care Market", IIMB-Harvard Business School Case Series, 2012.
- Ramesh Kumar S. and Akshat Kumar, "HDFC Life Insurance - Building a Service Brand", Ivey Case, 2012.
- Ramesh Kumar S. and Kasturi Baral, "Xylys: Premium Watches and Behavioral Dimensions in the Indian context", IIMB-Harvard Business School Case Series, 2012.
- Ramesh Kumar S. and Nitya Guruvayurappan, "Himalaya Herbal Toothpaste: Category and Brand Involvement in an Emerging Market", Ivey Case, 2011.
- Ramesh Kumar S. and Shamit Bagchi, "www.Dhonuk.com: Marketing Art in an Emerging Environment", Ivey Case, 2011.
- Ramesh Kumar S. and Radhika Vishwas, "Shiny Provision Stores: Challenges in the Indian Retail Market", Ivey Case, 2010.
- Ramesh Kumar S., Nitya Guruvayurappan and Madhurjya Banerjee, "Ethnic Consulting Company", Ivey Case, 2010.
- Ramesh Kumar S. and Nitya Guruvayurappan, "Super Shampoo Products and the Indian Mass Market", Ivey Case, 2010
- Ramesh Kumar S. and Radhika Viswas, "Conversations in the Mass Market - Cellular Phone Services in an Emerging market", 2009.
- Ramesh Kumar S. and Geetha, "Fiery Thrills and Windy Rides - Positioning a New Brand of Motorcycle in the Indian Context", (Published in S. Ramesh Kumar, "Consumer Behavior and Branding - Concepts, Readings and Cases", Pearson, 2009).
- Ramesh Kumar S. and Mohan Kuruvilla, "Tinplate Company of India - Need for a Conceptual Focus", Ivey Case, 2001.
- Anup Krishnamurthy and Ramesh Kumar S., "Exploring the Formation of Consumer Expectations", Journal of Customer Behavior, Spring 2015
- Ramesh Kumar S., "Adapting Integrated Marketing Communication to an Emerging Market", Journal of Integrated Marketing Communication, 2009
- Ramesh Kumar S. and Kartik Srinivasan, "Consumer Psyche and Online Branding, The Indian Context - An Exploratory Study", International Journal of Management Practices and Contemporary Thoughts, June-December 2007 (published in 2008)
- Ramesh Kumar S., Nitya Guruvayurappan, and Madhurjya, "Cultural Values and Branding in an Emerging Market - The Indian Context", Marketing Review, Autumn Issue, 2007
- Ramesh Kumar S., Rajeev Ravi, and Jeevesh Jain, "The Role of Point of Purchase in Shopping Behaviour in an Emerging Market - The Indian Context", Indian Retailing Review, June-December 2007
- Ramesh Kumar S., Amit Luthra, and Gaurav Datta, "Linkages between Brand Personality and Brand Loyalty - A Qualitative Study in an Emerging Market in the Indian Context", South Asian Journal of Management, April-June 2006
- Ramesh Kumar S. and Aaalp Sharma, "Expansion Advertising as a Precursor to Brand Loyalty in India", International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Management, September 2005
- Ramesh Kumar S. and Jai Advani, "Factors Effecting Brand Loyalty - A Framework for Fast Moving Consumer Goods" (accepted by Journal of Customer Behaviour), 2005
- Ramesh Kumar S., "Branding in a Changing Environment - The Indian Context", Journal of Brand Management, September 2003
- Ramesh Kumar S, and Karan Bajaj, "Cultural Dimensions and MNC Brands - A Study in the Indian Context", South Asian Journal of Management, July-September 2002
- Ramesh Kumar S., "Combining Online and Offline Marketing Strategies", Ivey Business Journal, November/December 2001
- Arun Kumar and Ramesh Kumar S., "Self, Brand and Reference Group Relations", NAMASEI International Conference, Great Lakes Institutes, Chennai (2014).
- Arun Kumar and Ramesh Kumar S., "Network Effects, Reference Groups and Brands in an Emerging Market Context", Emerging Economies Conference, IIM Lucknow, (2013).
- Presented a paper "Customer Equity in Emerging Markets" at "Frontiers in Marketing" conducted by American Marketing Association and University of Queensland at Brisbane, June 28-July 2, 2006.
- Presented a paper "Managing Product Value and Symbolism in Brand Proposition - The Indian Context" at the conference "Marketing Strategies for Emerging Markets" conducted by IIM Kozhikode and NASMEI, US, at Kozhikode (December 2004).
- Presented a paper "Linkages between Brand Loyalty and Brand Personality" at the Academy of Marketing conference held at University of Gloucestershire, UK (July 2004) (joint paper with Amit Luthra and Gaurav Datta).
- "Qualitative Measurement of Impulsive Behavior - Retailing Context" (abstract) accepted for presentation at the Marketing Science Conference at Smith School of Business, Maryland, US (June 2003).
- Presented a paper "Online Customer Equity at the Frontiers in Services" at a conference conducted by American Marketing Association and Maastricht University, The Netherlands (June 2002).
- Presented a paper (with N.B. Kanagal) on "Product-Customer Interface" at the American Marketing Association conference "Frontiers in Services" held at Vanderbilt University, US (October 22-24, 1999).
- Presented a paper "Imagery and Consumer Behavior" at the Psychology Congress held by Swedish Psychological Association at Stockholm (July 2000).
- Presented a paper (jointly with Professor Nargundkar) titled "Towards A Global Village: Changes in Consumer and Industrial Marketing in India" at the international conference on "Architecting the Global Village: Perspectives, Problems And Prospects" held at Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad (January 3-5, 1997).
- Paper titled "Monitoring Customer Satisfaction" accepted by Southern State University of Connecticut, US for the conference on "Business Environment" (November 13-14, 1997).
- Paper titled "Entry Strategies of Multinational Corporations - Indian Context" accepted by the University of Belgrade for a conference on "Emerging Economies" (July 13-15, 1998).
- "Addressing Diversity: The Marketing Challenge in India", Wall Street Journal, October 20, 2009
- Published over hundred and fifty articles in leading business newspapers in the area of Marketing (The Hindu, The Hindu - Business line, Economic Times, Financial Express, and Deccan Herald)
- Published case studies in Business Today (a magazine for corporate executives)
- PhD, Madras University, India
- MBA, Madras University, India
- BE (Electronics and Communication Engineering), Madras University, India
S Ramesh Kumar Print Bio
IIMB Chair of Excellence
S Ramesh Kumar has a mix of industrial and teaching/research experience of over 30 years. His areas of interests are exploring the application of marketing/consumer behavior concepts to the Indian context.
Professor Ramesh Kumar’s research interests include Branding-Consumer Behavior Interface, Cultural Dimensions in Marketing, and Consumer Behavior-Digital Marketing Interface. Dr. Kumar has published a number of articles and case studies in reputed journals (national and international), business magazines, and business newspapers. His several international publications include papers, in refereed journals of repute, which are known both for their academic rigor and practice orientation. His co-authored papers on research / cases (on leading Indian brands across categories) have appeared in Journal of Integrated Marketing Communication, Journal of Brand Management, Ivey Business Journal and his co-authored papers/cases have been published in Marketing Review, Journal of Customer Behavior, Richard Ivey Business School’s case collection and IIMB case collection marketed by Harvard Business School.
Selected Refereed Publications:
Refereed book chapter:
“The E-Mode of Brand Positioning – The Need for an Online Positioning Interface”, Contemporary Research in E-Marketing, Volume 2, edited by Dr. Sandeep Krishnamurthy, Idea Group Inc. 2006
He teaches in the post graduate, executive management, and research fellow programmes. He has developed courses at the post graduate and doctoral levels. He has also co-authored and published several real life cases associated with several reputed organizations in the Indian context.
He has undertaken training and development needs based need identification work across industries/companies.
Professor Ramesh Kumar was awarded the ICFAI Best Teacher Award by the Association for Indian Management Schools (AIMS).